Monday, June 18, 2018
I am learning so much these days--about myself, about my child, about the people in our lives! The learning makes me a better artist, parent, and human being. We are spending our summer on the shores of Lake Erie. I'm working retail. Sam is learning to be a bit free range. We are living with other people. I'm also painting, beach combing, and seeking direction for the fall and winter season. Last week felt like a steep learning curve. We went home for Father's Day, and it felt a bit smoother. I wanted to share some of what I'm learning, and I invite you to let me know what resonates with you.
Here is some of what has been coming my way in the past week:
1. Ask for help when you need it. I don't even have words for how hard this is for me. I don't want to look stupid, incompetent or weak, but life is challenging and sometimes we all need help.
2. When you ask for help people may exceed your expectations. Nothing in my life experience prepares me for this! I just expect to be disappointed. Boy that sure colors life in a negative way, but how bright it can be when people amaze us!
3. Learn to live outside your comfort zone. It's easy to get stuck, but life is an adventure when we live outside our comfort zone. This doesn't mean it will be easy, and it is often uncomfortable but worth it.
4. Meet new people with an open heart. I think we are conditioned to be closed until people prove they can be trusted. The process happens with a lightening speed sort of magic if we expect the best in others.
5. You can have a lot of fun without spending a lot of money, but you do have to spend some money! This is especially true if you are shlepping a kid with you!
6. Cut yourself some slack. It's okay to nap, do nothing, just hang out. Not every minute has to be productive. In fact, if you're a creative, that down time will lead to stronger future creative productivity.
7. It's all going to be a bit messy, and there is no perfect or normal. In my mind I always have a plan that seems ideal, and then life happens. Then I'm tempted to beat myself up for missing the perfect idea--that might not have been so perfect.
8. Go with the flow. Things will change. Just roll with it.
9. Laugh often with sincerity. My kid brings this out in me so often.
10. Share your experience, so that others can relate to your humanity.
How is your summer going? What are you learning?
Tuesday, June 5, 2018
|Late Spring walks in the woods are about to be summer walks by the lake|
It's been unusually quiet around here.
You might be wondering where have I been.
This Spring I worked for several months with adults with developmental disabilities. They were doing creative work and learning some workplace skills. It was rewarding. I also had a kids' art class, a few art fundraisers and painting parties, yoga classes, and various other students. But the trade off was that I had very little time and energy for my own creating.
I've had so many ideas brewing, but no time to manifest them.
Fast forward to summer, and a new direction.
Sam and I will be spending the summer in Lakeside, Ohio. I will be working at the scrumptious shop, Miss Mercedes. Sam will be more of a free range kid. We both have projects to keep us creating and learning!
I have a few events brewing for summer, too.
July 14 Barberton Summer Art Mart, 10 a.m. on W. Tuscarawas Ave., Barberton, OH
July 20 - 22 Lakeside Plein Air Festival, Lakeside, OH
July 28 Wizardly World of Kent, Kent OH
I hope our paths cross this summer, and no matter where life finds you, know that I am always grateful for your support and encouragement.
To all the amazing people who follow my art, I'm not sure if I've told you about the epic adventure my son, Sam, and I are taking...
Late Spring walks in the woods are about to be summer walks by the lake It's been unusually quiet around here. You might be wond...
CHILDREN’S CLASSES Plein Air Drawing and Painting for Kids Mondays, Sept. 10 - Oct. 15 6-7 p.m. Let’s draw and paint t...
Impressionism is one of the most beloved and recognized periods of art, and my Monday Kids' Class will be exploring some of...